Bronson Healthcare, Bronson Methodist Hospital
Kalamazoo, MI | 2000
One of the first Pebble Projects so designated by the Center for Health Design, this award-winning hospital is regularly cited as a model of evidence-based design. Its benchmarks offer compelling evidence of its success in dramatically improving patient care and satisfaction, as well as clinical excellence and operational efficiency. Horizontal continuity facilitates patient access: each level is devoted to a particular specialty, allowing easy transition from parking to medical office, ambulatory services, and inpatient care. The campus is zoned by activity, with critical care services to the north, ambulatory to the south, and mixed programs in the middle.
To enhance patient convenience and satisfaction while increasing staff efficiency and decreasing costs, the new Bronson incorporates innovative operational initiatives, including the aggregation of eight ambulatory diagnostic sub-specialties into a single unit.
See More >
Shepley Bulfinch TeamJennifer Aliber
- Vista Award 2003, American Society of Healthcare Engineering of the American Hospital Association and the AIA Academy of Architecture of Health
- Environmental Leadership Award 2003, National Hospitals for a Healthy Environment Program, American Hospital Assn/ American Nurse Assn/ Healthcare Without Harm/ Environmental Protection Agency
- Honor Award, Healthcare Facilities Design Awards 2001, Boston Society of Architects/AIA
- Construction and Design Award 2001, Engineering Society of Detroit
- Best Project Team for Projects in Michigan, Pyramid Awards 2001, Washtenaw Contractors Association
“We didn’t assume that we could achieve all our goals just by building a building. Our approach was comprehensive in that we took this as an opportunity to totally revamp our culture. The project became a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity not only to create a state-of-the-art healing environment but also to help us become even more focused on our patients and our community.”
- Frank Sardone, president and CEO, Bronson Methodist Hospital, in Healthcare Executive, July/August 2003
“The new Bronson is designed for the next 100 years as a flexible facility that can continuously be reshaped to meet the changing needs of healthcare in the future.”
- Mary Ann Eldred, Sr Vice President, Operations/Patient Care Svcs, Bronson Healthcare , in The New Bronson, December 2000