Harvard University, Biological Laboratories
Cambridge, MA | 1932
The science has changed since Harvard's Biological Laboratories were completed in 1932, but the Labs remain at the center of Harvard’s biological research work in the 21st century, serving as a primary building for research groups of the Department of Organismic and Evolutionary Biology. Notable research conducted in the labs includes that of the winners of the 1967 and 1980 Nobel Prizes. The door panels, the building's exterior friezes, and the pair of life-sized bronze rhinoceros flanking its entrance are the work of sculptor Katherine Lane Weems. Cut into the brick facade, the friezes represent four of the zoographic regions of the world.
The building is one of more than 100 projects at Harvard by the firm. In addition to the Biological Laboratories, projects at Harvard in that period include the Fogg Art Museum (1926); Malkin Athletic Center (1930); Lowell and Dunster Houses (1930); Adams, Kirkland, Leverett, and Winthrop Houses (1931); Eliot House (1932); and Harvard Memorial Church (1933).