Young Men's Christian Association, New YMCA Building
Boston, MA | 1913
The prominent facade of the YMCA building represents a significant part of the institutional development along Huntington Avenue in Boston in the first two decades of the 20th century.
Established in the UK to advance the principles of healthy spirit, mind, and body, the first American YMCA opened in Boston in 1851.
President William Howard Taft laid the cornerstone for the five-building complex in 1912. The education building was home to the Evening Institute of the Boston YMCA, which went on to become Northeastern University.
In 1995, the YMCA’s 300 dormitory rooms were converted to 88 affordable permanent apartments and transitional units. In 2011, Northeastern proposed the acquisition and demolition of the YMCA’s gymnasium building and the redevelopment of the site for a new residence hall.