Business Development Manager (Hybrid)
Regional Business Development Manager
Shepley Bulfinch is a national architecture and design firm with studios in Phoenix, Boston, Durham, Hartford, and Houston. Founded in 1874, the firm has a notable legacy of challenging convention, pioneering visionary design ideas, and collaborating with clients who seek to drive measurable change.
We have an immediate opening for a Business Development Manager in our Durham studio to join our bright, energetic, and dedicated marketing and BD team. In this role you’ll work closely with our Durham leadership group as a strategic thinking partner to work across practice groups in the local market. Shepley Bulfinch is hybrid-forward and we unapologetically embrace the design and collaboration benefits in our process and the work-life balance at the heart of our employee mission. We harness the power of technology to ensure that our teams can work effectively and produce top-quality work, no matter where they are based.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Partner with principals cross-sector in developing and executing an annual business plan, including the determination of target markets/clients, strategies to penetrate same or new markets/clients, and identifying the tasks necessary to achieve the firm’s revenue goals and objectives.
- Represent the firm in organizations and at industry events, conferences, etc. Build Shepley Bulfinch name recognition and brand awareness in the local market through participation in key organizations in concert with studio leadership.
- Close coordination with studio leadership to support client and consultant network relationship development and maintenance.
- Research, qualify, and prioritize new business leads.
- Develop and maintain contact with clients and other referral networks such as contractors, engineers, architects, and others who can assist in the pursuit of new work.
- Maintain regional knowledge of industry, markets, and current trends.
- Update and maintain contacts, leads, and opportunities in CRM.
- Advise business development team on project pursuit materials for qualifications, proposals, interviews to ensure consistency and clarity of message to clients. Collaborate with practice group leadership to clarify key differentiators and winning messages. Assist with writing and proofreading of qualifications/proposals.
- Coordinate and conduct debrief discussions with clients after lost pursuits.
- Assist with other various tasks as needed (i.e. project photography, sponsorships, conferences, studio events, assist with training staff).
- 4-6 years of directly applicable experience in the A/E/C industry in a design-focused environment preferred
- Experience and enthusiasm for cultivating relationships with industry contacts
- Experience crafting and executing Business Development plans
- Experience developing qualification and proposal submissions and presentation materials
- Proficiency in InDesign and PowerPoint; MS Word and Excel (Illustrator and Photoshop a plus)
- Understanding of concepts, practices, and procedures in the design profession a plus
- BS/BA preferred
Skills and Attributes:
- Strong verbal, written, and graphic skills; must be comfortable with research, writing, and editing
- Strong interpersonal skills; able to communicate effectively across all levels of the firm and with
- Strategic thinker; ability to balance big picture with small details
- Adept at managing priorities, setting deadlines; motivating and holding others accountable
- Self-motivated and independent, while also collaborative and a great team player
- Demonstrated ability to strategically coach, mentor, and provide constructive criticism
- Quick learner and curious about our clients business
- Encompasses awareness with person-to-person emotions