Business Development Manager (Hybrid)
Business Development Manager
Shepley Bulfinch is a national architecture and design firm with studios in Phoenix, Boston, Durham, Hartford, and Houston. Founded in 1874, the firm has a notable legacy of challenging convention, pioneering visionary design ideas, and collaborating with clients who seek to drive measurable change.
We have an immediate opening for a Business Development Manager in our Phoenix studio to join our bright, energetic, and dedicated marketing and BD team. In this role you’ll work closely with our leadership group as a strategic thinking partner.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Partner with principals in developing and executing an annual business plan, including the determination of target markets/clients, strategies to penetrate same or new markets/clients, and identifying the tasks necessary to achieve the firm’s revenue goals and objectives.
- Research, qualify, and prioritize new business leads.
- Develop and maintain contact with clients and other referral networks such as contractors, engineers, architects, and others who can assist in the pursuit of new work.
- Maintain knowledge of industry, markets, and current trends.
- Update and maintain contacts, leads, and opportunities in Deltek.
- Represent the firm in organizations and at industry events, conferences, etc.
- Work with leadership group to help drive strategy and manage execution of thought leadership pieces, including white papers, blog posts, and conference submissions.
- Advise business development team on submission materials for qualifications/proposals to ensure consistency and clarity of message to clients. Assist in developing interview strategies when appropriate.
- Coordinate and conduct debrief discussions with clients after lost pursuits.
- Assist with other various tasks as needed (i.e. sponsorships, coordinate BD-related meetings and events, assist with training staff).
- 4-6 years of directly applicable experience in the A/E/C industry in a design-focused environment preferred
- Experience and enthusiasm for cultivating relationships with industry contacts
- Experience crafting and executing Business Development plans
- Experience developing qualification and proposal submissions and presentation materials
- Proficiency in InDesign and PowerPoint; MS Word and Excel (Illustrator and Photoshop a plus)
- Understanding of concepts, practices, and procedures in the design profession a plus
- BS/BA preferred
Skills and Attributes:
- Strong verbal, written, and graphic skills; must be comfortable with research, writing, and editing
- Strong interpersonal skills; able to communicate effectively across all levels of the firm and with
- Strategic thinker
- Ability to manage priorities, set deadlines; motivate and hold others accountable
- Ability to work well independently and as part of a team
- Ability to balance big picture with small details
- Demonstrated ability to strategically coach, mentor, and provide constructive crit